About the course
Write reliable, scalable and high-performance code for asynchronous applications, with state of the art techniques and frameworks straight out of Silicon Valley.
- This video covers the core principles of reactive programming techniques
- Get practical learning using real-world examples
- Explore the advantage of using reactive programming for asynchronous computation compared to other techniques
- Understand the core concepts of reactive programming
- Explore advanced reactive programming
- Apply these reactive programming concepts with Kotlin using RxJava
- Compare the reactive programming approach against Callbacks and Futures
- Perform effective error handling to ensure maximum output
- Get to know the fundamentals of Kotlin Coroutines
- Use Coroutines with RxJava
Reactive programming has become a trend for software companies, especially if they have services used by thousands of users in the cloud. Using asynchronous computation when deploying into the cloud is a must-have, as companies are billed by the second for CPU power.
As a developer, you can write asynchronous code, but scaling problems and keeping control of concurrency makes it very challenging. It reduces the complexity of writing async code by using the functional programming paradigm. This allows you to write code in a manageable way with a high level of abstractions, making nested callbacks a thing of the past.
In this practical course, you’ll first learn how to view problems in a reactive way, and then build programs that leverage the best features of this exciting new programming paradigm. You’ll then begin with the general concepts of reactive programming and then gradually move on to working with asynchronous data streams. You’ll dive into advanced techniques such as customizing operators and providers and see how to use the concurrency model to control the asynchronicity of code and process event handlers effectively. You’ll also explore Coroutines, another exciting topic.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to bring these reactive programming techniques into play by writing code with reduced complexity, a high level of abstraction, and increased efficiency.
The code bundle for this video course is available at- https://github.com/PacktPublishing/Getting-Started-with-Reactive-Programming-with-Kotlin
Style and Approach
This course is a practical, step by step guide which will take you through the core concepts behind reactive programming. All the exercises will be done in Kotlin.
Alberto Di Martino
Alberto Di Martino is a software developer with Samsung Pay and has been working with Kotlin since 1.0 version. He is an expert with Kotlin when it comes to the knowledge and expertise in this technology. He is keen to share his rich experience through this video tutorial.
Hands-on GraphQL for Better RESTful Web Services [Video]